Grandy Village Learning Center Strikes LEED Gold
The Norfolk Redevelopment & Housing Authority achieved Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for the Grandy Village Learning Center.
It is the first building in Norfolk to qualify for this LEED level.
LEED is the nation’s preeminent program for design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
Opened in September 2010, the 15,000 square foot, $4.1 million GVLC is 30-40% more energy efficient than conventional buildings. The GVLC showcases state-of-the-art environmental design, wetlands reclamation as well as aquatic education and recreation on the Elizabeth River.
To achieve LEED Gold, NRHA and its partners concentrated on the following:
• preventing construction activity pollution and material waste through purchase of local and regional building materials and recycling;
• locating the building site near Norfolk’s new light rail for future transit-oriented development and providing reserved parking for fuelefficient vehicles;
• maximizing natural light and utilizing lighting controls as well as solar and geothermal heating systems;
• installing water efficient landscaping and plumbing fixtures; and
• establishing controls for indoor air quality and monitoring.
During construction, approximately 70% of the building materials were recycled. The building also uses structural insulated panels, which contain a core of rigid foam insulation between two structural pieces of oriented strand board. This coupled with four inches of expanded foam in all the exterior walls, double-glazed low-E windows, help the Grandy Village Learning Center lower heating and cooling costs and create a healthy environment for the building occupants.
Grandy Village is a 44-acre assisted-rental property built in 1953 and is undergoing a transformation to a quality mixed-income community with future market rental and homeownership opportunities.
Grandy Village Learning Center
2971 Kimball Loop
Norfolk, VA 23504
Head Start Program (Grandy Village Learning Center)
- About NRHA
- Meet Our Team
- Statistical Summary
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Freedom of Information Act
- Photo Archive
- News and Events
- Assisted-Rental Housing
- Housing Choice Vouchers